Friday, February 6, 2009

Too Lupie, Be Happy

I'm happy today, and it seems to make me feel good. I say this because for the past week. I've been feeling horrible. I thought I was in a flare because I woke up with a sore throat, and I felt like I'd been hit by a truck. I was achy all over. I didn't have a fever, and I had no other symptoms. I stayed home from work last Thursday and Friday, and I've been dragging myself around all week and over sleeping every morning.

On Tuesday, I discovered that there were quite a few people at work who had the same symptoms I did, and it was a relief because now I know that it isn't a flare, just a nagging bug. Once I realized it was a bug, I figured that I would get over this thing eventually, and just take it easy.

On Wednesday nights, some women friends and I play poker. I had asked Geoff to make sure to go home early to see to the kids. I know my kids are older, but my daughter is a teenager, and she still needs guidance from time to time. Unfortunately, Geoff didn't go home, and I ended up dealing with the kids more than I should have for my night off. (Silly me. Moms don't get the night off.) This resulted in my going home and yelling at my family about being self sufficient and responsible.

Afterward, I went to bed crying about how I was an awful mother. I was definitely having a roller coaster of a night. Because of this, I woke up Thursday feeling horrible. I was tired and achy again. Nonetheless, I picked myself up and went to work, and I woke again today feeling tired and achy. I also couldn't get my wedding ring on because my fingers were swollen.

When I got into work, I decided to drink some Yogi Tea Peach Detox thinking that would help with the swelling. My friend at work, Rachael, has a tea kettle at her desk, so I went over to ask her for some water. Rachael was in such a great mood, somehow her mood rubbed onto me, and I feel better now. I do still feel tired, but the general achiness is much better. Or maybe it was the detox. I think it does have a lot to do with mood because I am feeling pretty happy. Sleepy, but happy.

Therefore, I want to emphasize the importance of happiness. First, I want to say that lupus is tough. It can come along with a variety of psychological symptoms, even the steroids have been known to cause severe mood changes and panic attacks. Because of this, the concept of happiness is difficult for people to comprehend at times. Nonetheless, we need to work at being happy, and believe me, happiness is work.

1. Find happy people. As I mentioned earlier, Rachael's happiness improved my mood. We should all endeavor to be around happy people to make ourselves happy.

2. Read happy books. Find funny books at the bookstore or the library. I used to really get a kick out of Irma Bombeck.

3. Watch funny shows. And I don't mean ridiculous reality shows where the people are doing things so stupid it's funny. I believe those things actually tear away at your emotions instead of build you up. Try watching situation comedies or stand-up comedians.

4. Funny movies. Nothing cracks me up more than "There's Something About Mary".

5. Think happy thoughts. Try to remind yourself of the good things in your life such as family and friends. If you don't have family or friends, think of the things you have within yourself, like your brains and your fortitude. Even if all you have is a roof over your head, be grateful for that. If you have nothing at all but your life, be happy that you have a life with the potential for great things. Everyone who's living has that.

Well, I hope I've left you with enough happy lupie possibilities. Have a lupie day.

LupieKat

No comments: