Sunday, May 10, 2009

World Lupus Day

Today is World Lupus Day, and this month is Lupus Awareness Month.  I had plans to put up posters and hand out fliers, but I guess I was too busy having lupus to spread lupus awareness.

Yesterday, I was set to go to the Revlon Walk for Women to take pictures of my co-workers, but I woke up in dreadful pain.  When we got to the event, I could barely walk because I was in so much pain.  By the time we got to the location, everyone was gone.  I forgot to bring the fliers I had planned to hand out about Lupus Awareness Day.

Then I thought that today I would go and put up posters around the neighborhood, but my family took me to brunch, and I came home and slept for five hours.  My brain has far more ambition than my body.  It's not too late to put up posters for Lupus Awareness Month, so I think I'm going to go do that when I'm done writing here.

As I said, my brain has far more ambition than my body.  Yesterday, I had planned to go to a party after the Revlon Walk, but I just couldn't do it.  My joints were aching, and I had a fever.  I told my husband to let me sleep for 15 minutes and then we could go.  I woke three hours later.  I felt so bad because when I miss events when I promised I would be there, I feel like a flake.  

With lupus, you really have to learn to forgive yourself when you just don't feel well enough to do something.  I'm forgiving myself a great deal this weekend!

If you have more energy than I seem to have right now, please help out by posting fliers about Lupus Awareness Month.  You can find fliers here on the Lupus Foundation of America Web Site.

Thanks Lupies!

LupieKat


1 comment:

Katie said...

I really enjoyed your blog. My seventeen y/o daughter was diagnosed with lupus in 2005. It has been a struggle getting her to take her meds because she hates swallowing pills. Recently her rheumatologist put her on cell-cept. (liquid med) She told me last night that her body hurts all the time. I don't know want her to be in pain. Her doctor explained to her if she takes the meds then we could find the correct dosage to help her. Any suggestions to help a stubborn teenager learn to live with lupus would be appreciated.