Sunday, June 1, 2008

Walking and walking

Many employees at my job participated in a 5K yesterday. I was very excited because I'm part of the community involvement committee that helped organize our attendance. I had asked my trainer a few weeks back if he thought I was in shape enough to do it. He was a bit dubious, so he had me walk on the treadmill at increasing increments. By last Thursday, I was walking two miles, so he gave me his blessing for the 5K with loads of instructions. He told me to watch my heart rate and said, "If anything hurts at all, you're to stop. Ankle, hip, knee. If anything hurts, just stop. Don't focus on finishing the race."

So I just took a nice leisurely stroll with my friend Brett. Brett runs the blog Cranky Flier. Check it out. Brett and I walked the 5K in a bit around 50 minutes. I felt so proud of myself. I did this with no pain whatsoever.

Today, is a slightly different story. My left hip is killing me. I usually exercise everyday no matter how I'm feeling, but I think it's a good idea to take it easy. I think I'm going to spend some time in our apartment jacuzzi to see if I can work out whatever kink I have in my hip. It may just be a bit of bursitis.

Today's tip. Always manage the pain.

Have a great day living lupie!

LupieKat

1 comment:

Greg Katz said...

Congrats on finishing the 5K, that's quite an accomplishment. I think it's great that you had a buddy to make this journey with and can share the accomplishment.

It sounds like you really took a thorough inventory before the walk about what to keep an eye open for regarding your health. If you do that at all times I think you'll find that you have less problem days.

The idea of taking a day off following the walk sounds solid. You're listening to your body and that's impressive.

Keep up the good work and although health challenges don't have to rule our lives, we can't ignore they exist.