Thursday, November 6, 2008

Healthy Eating

I just got a notice from the Lupus Foundation of America stating that there will be a live web chat on healthy eating and weight management. It's going to be on November 12, 2008 at 3:00 p.m. Eastern. For more information, you can go to the Lupus Foundation of America web site

Before I was diagnosed with lupus, I was pretty thin. I didn't think I'd ever have to worry about my weight. Then I got an esophageal infection that caused me to lose more weight. I was petrified that the infection was going to take over my body because my doctor couldn't figure out how to fight it and keep my weight on. I got really skinny and sicker and sicker, and then one day, it just went away. Oddest thing.

Because of that, I worried about being thin so I went on an eating binge. That combined with prednisone turned me into a chubby looking chipmunk. I'm off the prednisone, but weight has been a challenge for me ever since. I wish I could tell you all that I'm a great example of healthy eating, but that would be a lie.

I can say that I try very hard to stick to a healthy eating pattern, but my cravings often get the best of me. When they do, I vow to exercise a little bit more the next day, and sometimes I don't do that either. Yesterday, I had this plan to go to Islands Burgers with my husband and get a salad, but he didn't meet me for lunch until it was really late, so we ended up running to InNOut Burger who only sells burgers.

I told myself I'd get extra exercise by playing tennis, but my tennis partner canceled. That pretty much blew my healthy living day.

Fortunately, today is a brand new day. I'm going to bring healthy snacks to work and stay away from the burgers!

Have a lupie day!

LupieKat

No comments: