Thursday, November 20, 2008

T'is the Season for Infusions

I started my first infusion treatment yesterday. I am relieved that it took the nurse only two tries to find a vein. I can tell by the way she treated me that I didn't treat her too warmly. Note to patients: Try to be bright and upbeat no matter how terrible you feel. If you aren't, the nurses take it out on you. In my many years of medical interactions, I've found that the nurses treat you better if you try to be peppy.

Yesterday, I really didn't want to be peppy. I hate infusions. I was close to blowing up at Geoff but he backed off before it was too late. (I think he's finally learning.)

In case you're new to my blog, I have to get iron infusions from time to time to keep my iron stores up. I'm allergic to iron infusions, so the whole experience makes me miserable. In order to get the infusion, I take it with steroids and benadryl. It makes me sleepy and feel sluggish for the day. Additionally, I'm in pain. I get pain in my chest and pain in my joints.

A good thing about this round of infusions is that I have a good set of people to give me rides home. That was the biggest challenge with my last set of infusions. I've been working on developing friendships and support. This helps me feel less alone in the whole procedure.

Unfortunately, my favorite driver has moved away to the Midwest. I really do miss Melinda. She needs to get out of that snow and come back to the warmth and love of California.

Take care and live lupie.

LupieKat

2 comments:

Pookies Kitten said...

You'll be gratified to know I would rather be there definitively today. It's 32 degrees right now, I have Uggs on to keep my toes warm, and it's supposed to get down to 16 tonight. I can live with ash from fires. I can live with snow. I'd rather live with ash from fires.

sharon38 said...

Sharon38 I am a nurse and a mother of a 11 yr old son I too feel the same way and has had similiar pain I proudly say I haven't had a flare up in years but yesterday I had a bad one to my left foot I also get the same u look healthy so forth and so on and almost feel embarressed having to explain the excruciating pain I feel and why I need a cane when the day before I appeared as healthy and vibrant as a 6 month old baby so thanks for having an expierience that I can finally relate to because no one trully understands