Friday, August 10, 2007

Quitting is okay

When you deal with something chronic like lupus, you will often hear people say, "Don't quit. Don't give up." Forget that noise. I quit all the time. What I find that I need to do all the time is try.

A few days ago, I decided that I'm going to train to walk a half-marathon. I found this to be a pretty reasonable unreasonable goal. Walking is one of the exercises I'm allowed to do, and all I have to do is walk just a little farther one day to the next until I reach a half marathon length. How hard can that be? Well, when you have joints that don't want to work many mornings out of the year, it can be pretty hard. Actually, it hurts to walk right now, but with lupus, you have to keep moving, and I have to get from one place to another somehow. I guess I can try swimming? It may be that I have to give up on the walking a half marathon goal somewhere along the way, and that's okay. I'll just try something else. So quit all you want, just don't quit trying.

No comments: