Monday, November 19, 2007

Don't Forget About Yourself

Usually when I go without writing, it's because I don't feel well. This time it was because my husband wasn't feeling well, and I couldn't write about it. My daughter reads my blog, and we didn't want to worry the kids before we had all the facts. I tried to think about other things, but all I could think about is that my husband could possibly have prostate cancer. He was going through tests, and all I could do was wait and worry.

Well, the waiting is over, and my husband does have prostate cancer. We go in to meet with his doctor tomorrow to discuss options. Fortunately, it was caught early, and his prognosis is likely good.

When I'm stressed like this, I often just want to think about the thing that's stressing me. Right now, all I can think of are ways to take care of my husband. I've researched different treatments for prostate cancer. I have put together questions for his doctor, and I've come up with a new diet I'm hoping to convince my husband to eat.

On top of this all, I have to remember to take care of myself because the last thing we need right now is for me to feel worse than I usually do, so I'm trying really hard to sleep when I'm supposed to sleep, eat when I'm supposed to eat, and take meds when I'm supposed to take meds.

So, I guess that's my advice today. It's so easy to say, "I don't have time for that. I've more important things to do." Don't do that. Take care of yourself, so that you can take care of the ones you love.

On that note, it's past bedtime. I need to practice what I type.

Take care all and Live Lupie!

LupieKat

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi IM Star and i also live with lupus and it is so easy to worry about others and forget to take care of ur self ivealso been fighting rynoids syndrom when ur joints in ur hands spasam n become tight n hurt but i try to not let it get the best of me it is nice to see i am not alone with this thank you for havin these blogs im glad i found them