Thursday, November 22, 2007

Thanksgiving, Lupie Style

Happy Thanksgiving!

I love to cook. Before I went back to work full-time, I used to put out a spectacular meal for my family practically every night, and when it came to Thanksgiving, there was no stopping me. I'd do up a turkey and traditional sides with a side of gumbo. My mother never let a holiday go by without gumbo, and as her daughter, I wanted to keep to that tradition.

I think two years ago was the last time I cooked a true Thanksgiving dinner. Last year we spent it with relatives, and they cooked. This year, we're not flying because Geoff has grounded me since I got so sick flying to my niece's wedding last month. This year, I honestly didn't want to cook. I'm a bit tired. Also, because of Geoff's recent cancer diagnosis, I'm just drained. Geoff and I discussed going to a restaurant, but that concept drained him.

In the end, we decided to let the good people of Honeybaked prepare our Thanksgiving meal. We picked it all up last night, ham, cranberry salad, scalloped potatoes and cheesecake. All we have to do is heat it up. The sum cost of this meal for a family of four turned out to be under $60.00, which is much cheaper than anything I put together on my own. I can't even put together gumbo ingredients for under $60.00! I think this meal will make us relatively happy. If we start aching for gumbo, tomorrow we can all go to the Farmers' Market near the Grove and grab bignets and gumbo from this little food stand over there.

Aside from that, I think we'll spend the day appreciating the fact that we're all still here, and that we're one happy if not healthy, family.

Take care and live lupie!

LupieKat

No comments: