Thursday, September 20, 2007

New Digs

I moved out of my house in April because I was having a really hard time dealing with the long commute to work in addition to all the stairs in my house. I lived in my house for better than a dozen years, and I miss it, but I have to say that it's a relief to live someplace that is so much easier.

I used to live in Tujunga. Tujunga is a beautiful place with hills, valleys, and wildlife. It's very quiet and serene, but it just wasn't an easy place for me to live. My house was in a hilly area, so I couldn't really take a walk without having to climb high grade hills. Also, stores were a long distance away, so I couldn't get to them without driving, and food was very difficult to come by.

One day, about four years ago, I was really, really sick, and there was no food in the house that didn't require preparation. I could barely stand up, let alone cook. The only places that deliver in Tujunga deliver pizza, and I didn't see myself handling pizza. I did an internet search on restaurants in Tujunga, and just started dialing. At about the fifth call, I called Tori Yen Sushi. I said, "Hi. Do you deliver?" She said, "No, but you sound awful. Are you sick?" I said, "Yeah." She said, "I'll bring you anything you want." She brought me rice and grilled chicken. That's one of the great things about Tujunga. I miss that. You rarely see selfishness in Tujunga. It's one of the few places in Los Angeles where you can find ice cream socials and parades on the 4th of July.

Now, I'm in Marina del Rey. It's so much easier to get around and do my exercises. Also, food is just shouting distance. I have groceries delivered. Also, there are healthy places to eat here. I'm hoping to just make life simpler. It was really hard giving up my home. I was really poor as a child, and we were evicted a lot and moved all over the city. Tujunga was the first place I could ever call home. Okay, I'm getting myself all teary now. What was my point? Oh yeah. Sometimes you have to let go of things that you care about in order to stay healthy. Having lupus often means making compromises. If something feels like too much, try to figure out how to simplify it and keep living lupie. :)

Lupie Kat

No comments: